Whether you use a mouse or a remote control to navigate through a PowerPoint slide show presentation, it is often faster and handy to use keyboard shortcuts. Here is a selection of PowerPoint keyboard shortcuts for slide shows to try for your next PowerPoint slide show:
- Run a slide show: [F5]
- Run a slide show from the current slide: [Shift] + [F5]
- Advance to the next slide (any of these):[Right], [Down], N (for Next), [Spacebar], [Page Down] (or click the left mouse)
- Return to the previous slide (any of these):[Left], [Up], P (for Previous), [Backspace], [Page Up]
- Go to specific slide number: type slide number and press [Enter]. This is one of my favorite tips to quickly skip past slides or to return to a previous slide. To display the slide number temporarily in a handout, choose Insert > Header and Footer, check Slide Number, Apply to All. Repeat steps to turn off after printing handouts.
- Display a black screen or go back to slide show: B or [Period]
- Display a white screen or go back to slide show: W or [Comma]. (Use carefully as the bright screen can be distracting to an audience).
- End a slide show: [Esc]
- Help during slide show (displays these and other keyboard shortcuts): [F1]
Note: You can also right-click anywhere on the slide show screen for a shortcut menu with many of these same actions. FYI-your audience will also see this shortcut menu.
Click here to download a handout of PowerPoint keyboard shortcuts and discover more PowerPoint tips and tricks.
By Dawn Bjork, MCT, The Software Pro®
Microsoft Certified Trainer, Technology Speaker, Software Consultant