How can you be more productive working with Microsoft Windows? The Windows key gives you quick access to easy Windows shortcuts. Pressing the Windows key alone (shown below as ⊞ ) or in combination with other keys enables you to move around and work with Windows without using the mouse or other pointing device. Look for the Windows key to the left of the [Spacebar] (usually between the [Ctrl] and [Alt] keys).
Try these Windows keyboard shortcuts and download your own handout of Windows shortcuts:
- Open and close the Start menu: WIN key ⊞
- Open the Computer window (Windows Explorer): WIN key ⊞ + E
- Show the Desktop (minimize all windows): WIN key ⊞ + D
- Switch users or lock desktop: WIN key ⊞ + L
- Maximize the current window: WIN key ⊞ + Up Arrow
- Open the Project window (when connected to external display or projector): WIN key ⊞ + P
For more time-saving Microsoft Windows techniques, find additional shortcuts, tips and tricks at TheSoftwarePro.com/Windows.
By Dawn Bjork, MCT, MOSM, CVP, The Software Pro®
Microsoft Certified Trainer, Productivity Speaker, Certified Virtual Presenter